Watermelon Petite – Yellow
One of the earliest and sweetest watermelon we have trialled and we think the best tasting too. A delicious small icebox watermelon, 2-3 pounds each which makes it far better suited to European climates.
- Seed Count: 60
1659 in stock
Watermelon Petite Yellow
Cultivation Advice Watermelon Petite Yellow
- Type: Annual
- Temperature Required: 20 – 25 c
- Time to Germinate: 5 -10 Days
- Days to Maturity: 85-95 Days
- Position/ Light: Full Sun and sheltered Location
- Prepare soil by digging and incorporating liberal amounts of well-rotted
- compost or farmyard manure over-winter.
- Watermelons thrive in a sunny, warm location
- Sow April to May 1cm (½in) deep, in 7cm (3.5in) pots of free-draining seed sowing mix.
- Place in a (propagator, airing cupboard) and keep at a temperature of around 20-25C (68-77F)
- until after germination, usually 5-10 days.
- When first true leaves develop, transplant into 13cm (5in) pots for a few weeks.
- Plant out 24 inches apart after carefully
- hardening off after all risk of frost in a warm sheltered position in full sun or for a more reliable crop under glass.
- Water regularly and feed with liquid fertilizer every 14 days.
- Pinch out growing point at the 4 leaf stage and train the laterals (side-shoots) along the row.
- Hand pollinate if required.
- At harvest time, tap the watermelon with your knuckles, and if it sounds hollow, it’s ripe.