Pumpkin – Jack O’lantern
£1.09 – £8.99
Probably the best all-rounder pumpkin both for carving and eating, producing beautiful orange skin fruits and a sweet flavoured yellow orange coloured flesh. Size averages 20-30cm in diameter and 5 – 7kg in weight.
Pumpkin Jack O’lantern
Cultivation advice Pumpkin Jack O’lantern
- A sunny spot protected from strong winds is essential.
- The soil must be well drained and rich in humus, the more the better.
- Many winter Squash / Pumpkins like to sprawl out and need plenty of space. Vining Squash / Pumpkins require a larger area to run, whilst semi-vining and bush varieties of winter squash / courgette can be well contained.
- For an early start (Mid / Late Apr) place a single seed edgeways ½ inch deep in seed compost in a 3 inch pot. The critical part is temperature, these need at least 65F continuous soil temperature (preferably more to maximise germination rates) until germinated, so a propagator, well heated greenhouse or airing cupboard is ideal
- Keep the soil moist – water copiously around the plants, not over them.
- Keep weed free to allow air circulation.
- Once the fruits start to swell feed every 14 days with a tomato type fertilizer, these are greedy plants.