Vegetable Leek Bulgarian Giant
£0.99 – £6.99
A popular North European long, thin and fast maturing variety of the highest quality with light green leaves and great flavour. One of the longest stemmed varieties available.
Leek Bulgarian Giant
Leek Bulgarian Giant. A popular North European long, thin and fast maturing variety of the highest quality with light green leaves and great flavour. One of the longest stemmed varieties available.
Cultivation Advice Leek Bulgarian Giant
Days To Germination: 14 to 18 days Optimum Soil Temp. for Germination: 60 to 80F Days To Harvest: 130 days Planting Depth: 1/2inch Spacing, Row: 24 inches Spacing, Plant: 8 inches Light: Sunny Location
- Leek is extremely hardy, forgiving and can be planted as soon as the soil can be worked.
- Sow sparingly directly in drills in early-mid spring, the aim to produce pencil thick plants of around 8” tall for transplant to their final position.
- Can be planted in trays under cover and transplanted for an earlier crop.
- When pencil size (around Jun/Jul) lift carefully and remove the top third of the foliage and 1/3 of the roots.
- Transplant in pre-made holes of 4-6 inches deep, 8 inches between plants in a sunny position with rotted organic matter incorporated. If space is limited this can be reduced, provided you pull alternative plants when young to make space for the remainder to grow.
- When transplanting carefully poor water into the hole to wash soil around the roots, then leave and earth up as they grow to blanche the stems. (Do not get soil between the leaves).
- Harvest alternate plants when large enough for use.