Sweet Corn – Glass Gem Organic
A stunningly beautiful flint / popcorn variety producing cobs in an endless kaleidoscope of colours with Translucent kernels that shine brilliantly like glass beads.
VEGETABLE GLASS GEM CORN
VEGETABLE GLASS GEM CORN. A stunningly beautiful flint / popcorn variety producing cobs in an endless kaleidoscope of colours with Translucent kernels that shine brilliantly like glass beads. The plants are vigorous and can reach 2m+ and thus not suited for exposed sites. The Cobs can be dried for decorations, used as popping corn or ground for flour. To get fully mature cobs which have started to dry on the plant this variety does ideally need to be started under cover in order to provide as long a growing season as possible. Best in a sheltered warm location. Will not thrive on cold or exposed sites.
Cultivation Advice VEGETABLE GLASS GEM CORN
Planting Depth: 10mm
Soil Temp. for Germ.: 65-80°F
Days to Germ.: 4-12
Days to Maturity: 100-120
Location: Full Sun
- Ensure the growing location is sheltered, has good drainage and enough humus to ensure the ground will not dry too quickly.
- Sow in early spring under cover in 3in pots 1in deep for the earliest crop at a minimum temp of 65F, warmth will aid germination rates. Harden off before planting out.
- Corn must be planted in blocks, not as a single row to ensure good pollination. This variety is vigorous and need s space between plants
- Cover any roots that appear at the base with mulch or old compost to retain moisture.
- Do not allow the crop to dry out during hot weather whilst flowering.
- These do need a long season to enable the cobs to start drying on the plants.