Cucumber – Crystal Apple
£0.99 – £7.99
A great outdoor Heirloom variety originally bred in New Zealand early last century. Can be grown equally as a ground ridge cucumber it can be trained to climb on a trellis if space is short.
Cucumber Crystal Apple
Cucumber Crystal Apple. A great outdoor Heirloom variety originally bred in New Zealand early last century. Can be grown equally as a ground ridge cucumber it can be trained to climb on a trellis if space is short. The golf to tennis ball sized fruits are produced in abundance if cropped on a regular basis all summer. The flavour is sweet with no bitter after taste and a crisp refreshing texture. This outdoor variety is best grown against a support, or it can be left to trail on the ground if preferred. Height: 3m (9′). Spread: 45cm (18″).
Cultivation Advice Cucumber Crystal Apple
Type: Half-Hardy Annual
Temperature Required: 21-25°c
Time to Germinate: 7-14 Days
Days to Maturity: 70 – 80 Days
Position/ Light: Full Sun
- Sow under cover (protected with warmth provided) from Mid spring,
- 3-4 seeds 1in deep in a 3in pot in good compost, and thin later to the best one or two plants per clump.
- Transplant no later than 3 weeks after seeding as cucumbers have a tap root that can be easily damaged.
- Ensure the weather is warm if planting outside, ensuring a sheltered and sunny position.
- Cucumbers germinate and grow best when summer really gets going or under glass.
- To avoid bitterness, keep plants evenly moist at all times.
- Can be trained on a trellis to save garden space or left to roam.
- Keep them picked and they’ll keep producing.