£0.99 – £8.99
Tomato Delicious. The current holder of the world record for the largest tomato at 7lb 12oz. Fruits average 1lb each with a meaty texture with few seeds and an excellent strong tomato flavour, ideal for salads and slicing. Suitable for both indoor and outdoor cultivation. Indeterminate. 80-85 days from germination.
Cultivation Advice Tomato Delicious
- Sow in spring under glass or on a windowsill 1/16 inch deep. Germination takes around 6-14 days at 65-75F.
- Transplant the seedlings when large enough to handle into 3 inch pots.
- Grow on under cooler conditions and when about 8 inches tall,
- either plant in their growing position in the greenhouse
- or gradually acclimatise them to outdoor conditions
- and plant out 18 inches apart in a warm and sunny spot in moist,
- fertile well drained soil and keep watered.
What’s the difference between “indeterminate” and “determinate” tomatoes?
Determinate tomatoes, or “bush” tomatoes, are varieties that grow to a compact height (generally 3 – 4′). Determinates stop growing when fruit sets on the top bud. All the tomatoes from the plant ripen at approximately the same time (usually over period of 1- 2 weeks). They require a limited amount of staking for support and are perfectly suited for container planting.
Indeterminate tomatoes will grow and produce fruit until killed by frost. They can reach heights of up to 12 feet although 6 feet is normal. Indeterminates will bloom, set new fruit and ripen fruit all at the same time throughout the season. They require substantial staking for support and benefit from being constrained to a central growing stem.