Sweetcorn – Golden Bantham
A terrific heirloom sweet corn (also known as Dolce) is as popular as ever and despite newer hybrid varieties is still considered by many to be the finest all-around sweet corn available.
- Seed Count: 50
36 in stock
Sweetcorn – Golden Bantam
A terrific heirloom sweet corn (also known as Dolce) is as popular as ever and despite newer hybrid varieties is still considered by many to be the finest all-around sweet corn available. It has good vigor and consistent production of 7in ears, and an excellent balance of sweetness to rich ‘corn’ flavor. 80-85 days. 6ft.
Cultivation Advice Sweetcorn – Golden Bantam
- Ensure the growing location has good drainage and enough humus to ensure the ground will not dry too quickly.
- Sow in early spring under cover in 3in pots 1in deep for the earliest crop at a minimum temp of 50F, warmth will aid germination rates. Harden off before planting out. Alternatively sow directly outside in late spring allowing 18in between plants and 18in between rows.
- Sweet corn must be planted in blocks, not as a single row to ensure good pollination.
- Cover any roots that appear at the base with mulch or old compost to retain moisture.
- Do not allow the crop to dry out during hot weather whilst flowering.
- Each plant will produce 1-2 cobs, test for ripeness when the silks have turned chocolate brown.
- A creamy liquid should come from the grains when squeezed, when fully ripe.