Squash – Butternut Waltham
- Product: Squash
- Categories: Vegetables
- Item: Butternut - Waltham
- Seed Count: 90
- WooCategory1: Vegetables
- WooCategory2: Squash
- gtin: 5060407966564
378 in stock
Squash Butternut Waltham
Squash Butternut Waltham . This fine Butternut type is by far the most popular and widely grown winter squash. Light tan-coloured with small seed cavities and thick, cylindrical necks without crooks, it yields heavily showing remarkable uniformity with fruits avg. 9″ long, avg. 4-5 lb. The flesh colour is richer than others, is smooth-textured and has a unique sweet flavour, particularly after 2 months’ storage. This is deservedly the most widely grown full-size butternut. Avg. yield: 3-4 fruits/plant. 100 days to maturity from planting out.
Cultivation Advice Squash Butternut Waltham
- A sunny spot protected from strong winds is essential.
- Early sowings need to be under cover with additional heat provided ideally 21C+ during germination.
- The soil must be well drained and rich in humus, the more the better. I fill each hole at least 12” square with garden compost and paper at the bottom into which goes a single plant. For bush varieties 24in between each plant is fine – 48in for vines.
- Many winter Squash / Pumpkins like to sprawl out and need plenty of space.
- Vining Squash / Pumpkins require a larger area to run, whilst semi-vining and bush varieties of winter squash / courgette can be well contained.
- If space is tight just keep turning the branches back to the centre to prevent spreading and over-running other plants.