£1.09 – £9.99
Ricinus communis is striking architectural plant that is fast growing, tall (2-3 meters). Very tropical in look with it’s with huge leaves and flower spikes.
Ricinus Zansibariensis. Ricinus communis is striking architectural plant that is fast growing, tall (2-3 meters). Very tropical in look with it’s with huge leaves and flower spikes. Zanzibarensis is considered one the largest varieties both in height and leaf size. Producing clusters of bright red flowers in late summer. Note the seeds are toxic and the plant will readily scatter seed. If seeds pods are left on the plant into late autumn. ‘Please note this seed is Toxic if eaten- wash hands after handling’
Cultivation Advice Ricinus Zansibariensis
- This is a tender fast growing annual in the UK and should not be started too early in spring
- unless you have a large heated glasshouse.
- Sow seeds at 23-25C with additional heat provided,
- The seed will rot at lower temperatures.
- Sow 2-3 cm deep in individual pots with germination in 14-21 days if sufficient heat provided.
- Once seedlings emerge grow on in cooler conditions in an unheated glasshouse.
- Re-pot in generous sized post as they grow fast.
- Harden off before planting out with at least 30cm between plants.
- Prefers rich soil, high in organic matter and a sunny sheltered location.