Pumpkin – Dills Atlantic Giant
The ultimate variety for giant pumpkin contests holding the world record at 1689lb. It requires plenty of space and a warm long summer to reach its full potential, but with care produces exceptional sized pumpkins.
Pumpkin Dills Atlantic Giant
Pumpkin Dills Atlantic Giant. The ultimate variety for giant pumpkin contests holding the world record at 1689lb. It requires plenty of space and a warm long summer to reach its full potential, but with care produces exceptional sized pumpkins. Realistically with average care and a good summer, fruit of 200-300 lbs are achievable in the UK. (They are also of excellent texture and flavour). Mature in around 125 days from germination.
Cultivation Advice Pumpkin Dills Atlantic Giant
- A sunny spot protected from strong winds is essential.
- The soil must be well drained and rich in humus, the more the better.
- Many winter Squash / Pumpkins like to sprawl out and need plenty of space. Vining Squash / Pumpkins require a larger area to run, whilst semi-vining and bush varieties of winter squash / courgette can be well contained.
- For an early start (Mid / Late Apr) place a single seed edgeways 1/2inch deep in seed compost in a 3inch pot.
- The critical part is temperature, these need at least 65F continuous soil temperature (preferably more to maximise germination rates) until germinated, so a propagator, well heated greenhouse or airing cupboard is ideal
- Keep the soil moist – water copiously around the plants, not over them.
- Keep weed free to allow air circulation.
- Once the fruits start to swell feed every 14 days with a tomato type fertilizer, these are greedy plants. Limit larger fruiting varieties to 2-3 fruits (for giant pumpkins 1).