Carrot – Autumn King 2
£1.09 – £8.99
One of the most popular and reliable late maturing main crop varieties producing large, heavy stump rooted carrots that can be lifted from late summer into deep winter
Carrot Autumn King 2
Carrot Autumn King 2 . One of the most popular and reliable late maturing main crop varieties producing large, heavy stump rooted carrots that can be lifted from late summer into deep winter.
The roots also store well if cleaned and packed in boxes of dry sand or compost.
Cultivation Advice Carrot Autumn King 2
Type: Hardy Annual
Temperature Required: 12°c +
Time to Germinate: 14-21 Days
Days to Maturity: 60-80 Days
Position/ Light: Full Sun
- Dig or till the carrot bed deeply when the soil is on the dry side to avoid making lumps.
- Work the soil to a fine texture 15-25cm (6-10 in.) deep to allow the carrot roots to grow long and shapely.
- Avoid freshly-manured soil, which may produce hairy, rough roots and will cause forks and splits;
- Sow seed thinly in rows, 1cm (1/2 in.) deep, 30-40cm (12-16 in.) between the rows as soon as the danger of hard frost has passed. Try to get about 4 seeds per 2cm (1 in.).
- Thin to 16-20 carrots per 30 cm (1ft.) for fresh eating and 6-10 carrots per 30 cm (1ft.) for mature crops, depending on the root size you want, and keep weeded and watered. Dispose of thinned seedlings to avoid attracting Carrot Fly.
- As they grow, push soil up over any exposed roots to prevent a green shoulder