Squash – Uchiki Kuri
£1.09 – £7.99
A bright and colourful Japanese Hubbard-type squash that has very attractive orange-red skin
Squash Uchiki Kuri
Squash Uchiki Kuri. A bright and colourful Japanese Hubbard-type squash that has very attractive orange-red skin. The yellow and creamy flesh is firm, very sweet and nutty. The plant grows vigorously in warm weather and you should water well during growth and whilst fruits swell. A very productive variety producing, fruits of around 2-3 lbs at 7?x7? in size that store well into winter.
Cultivation Advice Squash Uchiki Kuri
- A sunny spot protected from strong winds is essential.
- Drain the soil well and it has to be rich in humus, the more the better.
- I fill each hole at least 12” square with garden compost
- and paper at the bottom into which goes a single plant.
- For bush varieties 24in between each plant is fine – 48in for vines.
- Many winter Squash / Pumpkins like to sprawl out and need plenty of space.
- Vining Squash / Pumpkins require a larger area to run,
- whilst semi-vining and bush varieties of winter squash / courgette can be well contained.
- If space is tight just keep turning the branches back to the centre to prevent spreading and over-running other plants.