Onion Italian Flat – Borettana – 3 Gram ~ 750 Seeds
An old traditional Italian variety with yellow-brown skin dating back to 1400 with a fresh mild flavour and firm flesh.
- Size: 3gm
393 in stock
ONION ITALIAN FLAT – BORETTANA
An old traditional Italian variety with yellow-brown skin dating back to 1400 with a fresh mild flavour and firm flesh. If grown densely it will produce smaller onion perfect for picking or if given more space matures to 8cm across with excellent storage characteristics.
CULTIVATION ADVICE ONION ITALIAN FLAT – BORETTANA
Days to Germination: 10-14
Days To Harvest: 60-120
Planting Depth: 1/2″
Spacing, Row: 12-18 inches
Spacing, Plant: 1-2 inches
Light: Full Sun or Partial Shade
- For the finest onions, seed directly outdoors, depth 1/4 to 1/2 inch, in full sun to partial shade and well-drained soil as soon as the ground can be worked in Spring.
- Planting Space rows 12 inches apart. Scatter seed in the row at the rate of 3 seeds per inch.
- Seed can be started indoors under cover 8-10 weeks before transplanting out and transplants well.
- For pickling onions grow densely, if for storage then thin to at least 4 in apart. .
- Fertile, moist soil enriched with compost is best for onion production.
- Leave foliage to die back in summer before digging and leaving in sun to dry / skins harden.