If you have never eaten a Delicata squash, this is the one to grow. The vivid orange flesh colour indicates it is rich in Vitamin A. The sweet flesh is fine textured without coarse strings, butter and brown sugar are optional when eating because it is so sweet.
- Seed Count: 30
425 in stock
Delicata Squash. If you have never eaten a Delicata squash, this is the one to grow. The vivid orange flesh colour indicates it is rich in Vitamin A. The sweet flesh is fine textured without coarse strings. Butter and brown sugar are optional when eating because it is so sweet. Elongated fruit are 7-10 inches long. Trailing plants spreads only 36-48″ and are suitable for small gardens. A winter squash variety that will store well in a dry frost free location for up to 4 months. About 100 days from sowing to harvest, with good resistance to powdery mildew. Very easy to cultivate.
Cultivation Advice Delicata Squash
- A sunny spot protected from strong winds is essential.
- The soil must be well drained and rich in humus, the more the better.
- Many winter Squash / Pumpkins like to sprawl out and need plenty of space.
- Vining Squash / Pumpkins require a larger area to run,
- whilst semi-vining and bush varieties of winter squash / courgette can be well contained.
- For an early start (Mid / Late Apr)
- place a single seed edgeways 1/2inch deep in seed compost in a 3inch pot.
- The critical part is temperature, these need at least 65F continuous soil temperature
- (preferably more to maximise germination rates)
- until germinated, so a propagator, well heated greenhouse or airing cupboard is ideal
- Keep the soil moist – water copiously around the plants, not over them.
- Keep weed free to allow air circulation.
- Once the fruits start to swell feed every 14 days with a tomato type fertilizer,
- these are greedy plants.
- Limit larger fruiting varieties to 2-3 fruits (for giant pumpkins 1